Happy Monday, crafty friend!
Today I am beaming with excitement because today marks day #1 of the National Craft Month Celebration with Right at Home + Friends! Every year I try to do something fun to celebrate our favorite hobby and this year is no different. Each day this week you can come back here for a new post (& video!) featuring a fun challenge, special guests, prizes and even an exclusive coupon code or two. Stay tuned to the end of this post for info on how to participate.
I'm kicking off the week solo because my special guest, Ruby, had her new bundle of cuteness and wasn't able to join me. No fear, she will be with us later this week! Congrats Ruby!
Let's get started...
The first challenge for the week is to be inspired by the word "layers", which can be interpreted in so many ways. I decided to take a watercolor-y, texture-y angle for my card project.
I started with some watercolor paper cut to an A2 size and added layers of different colors. I used Ranger Distress Oxide Inks as my medium which creates a beautiful, creamy watercolor look. I used Picked Raspberry, Candied Apple, Fossilized Amber and Wild Honey as my color palette. After I colored on my first layer of color I dried the paper with a heat tool and added another layer for even more vibrancy.
My next layer was achieved using some of the floral stamps from my Bunny Hugs set and white embossing powder. I heat-embossed several of the images towards the center to act as a backdrop for some die-cutting later on. I used the "thank you" die from my Script Greetings Die Set to cut into the center of the piece, making sure to keep all the little cut-out bits to use for my inlay.
In the negative space of the die-cut "thank you" I added a few layers of white cardstock also cut with the die upon which I adhered the "thank you" die-cut with the watercoloring and embossing on it. That sounds really confusing, but don't worry, there's a video. At this point I decided to trim down the watercolor piece around the "thank you" to add some texture. I adhered the piece onto another A2 panel and added some additional watercolored strips underneath to add even more color. I used Cracked Pistachio for these.
As a finishing touch I ran the panel through my sewing machine with a zig-zag stitch as a final layer. I love keeping the little strands hanging from the side of the card but you can trim those if you'd like to.
If you're more of a visual learner, you can watch my process video below...
Now, for more details about this celebratory week...
My idea behind this celebration is offer you loads of inspiration from some of the most amazing crafters and companies in our industry. Each day will present a new creative challenge that you can participate in and, in turn, be entered to win the day's prizes.
Today's prize is a $20 gift certificate to the Right at Home shop!
In order to be entered to win, make sure to follow these steps...
- Create a new project inspired by today's challenge and post a picture of it to one of the following forums:
- Right at Home Facebook Group (in the comments of the day #1 picture with today's challenge written on it, linked here)
- Instagram using the hashtag #NCMwithRAH in your caption and tagging @rightathome
- Your personal blog and add the link to your post in the comments of this blog post (click here to download the challenge banner for your personal blog post)
- There will be one winner for today's prize, I will combine the names from every post I can find on the above mediums and randomly chose the winner (I made participating open in several different ways so as to include everyone who may not have social media, a blog, etc. I hope there is something for everyone!)
- Winners will be announced on April 1st in a new post along with the rest of the winners from prizes given throughout this week
Please let me know if you have any questions in the comments below!
Oh! I almost forgot. If throughout the week you see something I used that you just have to have you can use the code NCM in my shop for 15% off your purchase! Code will last from today until next Tuesday at 11:59 pm EST.
I think that's everything! I'm excited to get this week rolling and see what everyone creates. Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly and we have one big crafty party!
Here's to National Craft Month, friend!